The situation with Coronavirus is changing rapidly and so is the advice from government, medical experts and other bodies including the NEU and other unions. The NEU’s advice and guidance is being updated every day.
Key Coronavirus Guidance
Here are some links to key guidance
Blended Learning Guidance
Making calls home NEU Advice
Women in work: childcare during Covid-19
Vulnerable and At Risk members advice 2020
Domestic Abuse Workplace Toolkit
Health & Safety – a reps guide
Running a zoom meeting – a guide
Ensuring the safety of staff at higher risk
Covid-19 Map for schools and colleges
For the most recent updates, information and briefings from Tower Hamlets & the City NEU, please see our posts which appear on in the right-hand side bar. They are linked to below.
Update 12th January 2021
Coronavirus Update: 19th November 2020
Update 9th November 2020
Update 2nd November 2020
NEU Update 12th October 2020
Tower Hamlets NEU Update 5th October
Tower Hamlets NEU Update 14th September
Checklist for September 2020
September 2020 Coronavirus Briefing 1st September 2020
Coronavirus Update 8th June 2020
Supporting pupils to return to school safely: statement from Mayor John Biggs 1st June 2020
Coronavirus FAQs 1st June 2020
Coronavirus Update 1st June 2020
Vulnerable Workers Checklist 25th May 2020
Coronavirus Planning Checklists: Primary, Secondary, Special 25th May 2020
Coronavirus Crisis Primary Workplace Checklist 20th Mary 2020
Coronavirus update & members zoom meeting 14th May 2020
Coronavirus update 27th April 2020
Coronavirus update Joint NEU/ASCL/NAHT advice
Coronavirus update 25th March 2020
- SELF-ISOLATION: Government advice is that anyone who develops a persistent cough or fever should self-isolate for a period of seven days. Where this happens it should not be treated as sickness absence and the member of staff should continue to receive full pay. You do not need a GP certificate to cover this period of isolation. Staff who are self-isolating, may be asked to do work at home if possible.
- CORONAVIRUS: Where a member of staff does contract Coronavirus their absence should be recorded as sickness. However, their absence for this reason should not be counted as part of the trigger for sickness monitoring or review meetings.
- PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITIONS: We advise that colleagues with pre-existing medical conditions seek advice from their GP and if advised to stay off work this should be confirmed in writing.
- RISK ASSESSMENTS: We advise that schools should carry out risk assessments for vulnerable staff including those with disabilities, staff who are pregnant or who are immunocompromised (such as anyone undergoing treatment for cancer, HIV+ etc).
- AGENCY STAFF: The NEU has issued advice for agency staff who are unable to work. We believe that staff who are on long-term placement with a school should continue to be paid.
- DIRECTED TIME: We advise Reps to ask heads for a review of Directed Time activities such as parents meetings, school trips. Are these absolutely necessary? Can they be organised in another way?
- LEAVE OF ABSENCE: We believe that the current arrangements for taking time off to care for a sick dependent should be relaxed to take account of the current crisis.
- EXAMS: Exam boards are monitoring the situation and preparing for contingencies should there be long-term school closures. Ofqual have already produced initial guidance and the NEU will engage with exam authorities through this process.
- COVER: Cover policies should not be changed in the light of this crisis. NEU does not support doubling up of classes and where this is being suggested you should contact us for advice.
- HYGIENE: we think there should be a review of cleaning routines, particularly in respect of handles and swtiches. All toilet and washing facilities should contain sufficient soap and water to allow users to wash their hands, which can help eliminate or reduce the risk of the virus spreading.
This situation is changing rapidly and we will attempt to keep you updated with current advice. Please do not hesitate to contact the NEU if you need any advice or guidance.
You can download a copy of this guidance here
Other NEU advice on Coronavirus here
NEU statement on Coronavirus and class size here
March 14th 2020
Updated 27th April 2020
Updated 5th January 2020